Germany’s famed Nurburgring Nordschleife is likely one of the most technical and harmful race tracks on the planet, so naturally it’s the place the place the world’s automotive manufacturers come to develop their upcoming fashions – in addition to competing for the title of ‘quickest across the ‘Ring’.
UPDATE, 23/08/2023 – We’ve up to date the file occasions as of August 2023, together with further classes resembling tremendous sports activities automobiles and electrical automobile information.
In recent times it appears Nurburgring lap occasions have nearly been as necessary as releasing new fashions, as producers struggle for bragging rights across the ‘Inexperienced Hell’.
The Mercedes-AMG One has toppled the Porsche 911 GT2 RS with Manthey Efficiency Package, with a lap time of 6:35.183 on the Nordschleife.
That’s an enchancment of 8.0 seconds on the earlier file – a big margin.
The earlier file holder, the Porsche 911 GT2 RS with Manthey Efficiency Package, set a lap time of 6:43.30.
Right here’s a listing of the present Nurburgring manufacturing automobile file holders from the race observe’s official website:
- Compact Automobiles: Audi RS3 sedan – 7:40.748 minutes (2021, video here)
- Mid-range Automobiles: BMW M4 CSL – 7:20:207 minutes (2022, video here)
- Government Automobiles: Mercedes-AMG GT63 S 4-Door – 7:27.800 minutes (2020, video here)
- Electrical Automobiles: Porsche Taycan Turbo S with Efficiency package – 7:33.350 minutes (2022, video here)
- SUVs, off-road autos, vans, pick-ups: Porsche Cayenne Coupe efficiency mannequin – 7:38.925 minutes (2021, video here)
- Sports activities Automobiles: Porsche 911 GT2 RS with Manthey Efficiency Package – 6:43.30 (2021, video here)
- Tremendous sports activities automobiles: Mercedes-AMG one – 6:35:183 (2022, video here)
- Electrical supercars and hypercars: Rimac Nevera – 7:05.298 (2023, video here)
There’s additionally a ‘Prototypes’ class for non-production fashions like race automobiles and pre-production ideas, listed here are three benchmark occasions set by three very totally different prototype autos:
- Porsche 919 Hybrid Evo (all-time file) – 5:19.546 minutes (2018, video here)
- Volkswagen ID.R (electrical file) – 6:05.336 minutes (2019, video here)
- Lynk & Co 03 Cyan idea (FWD + four-door file) – 7:20.143 (2019, video here)
Given the extraordinarily aggressive nature of those lap occasions, Nurburgring file makes an attempt don’t come with out their controversies.
It’s widespread apply for producers to suit autos with racing seats and track-focused tyres on record-attempting autos, main many to query the validity of lap occasions particularly if the mannequin isn’t obtainable to the general public with comparable specs.
Probably one of many greatest media storms of late got here in 2017 when Lamborghini Huracan Performante claimed to be the quickest manufacturing automobile across the ‘Ring, although naysayers accused the Raging Bull of cropping its on-board video of the record-breaking lap on the time, which was 6:51.01 minutes.
The manufacturing automobile file set by the Porsche 911 GT2 RS MR additionally got here beneath fireplace, because the modifications over the ‘commonplace’ GT2 RS have been performed by Manthey Racing, which means the record-holding automobile isn’t wholly an in-house job by Porsche.
Regardless, there’s little question we’ll proceed to see producers shave earlier seconds off these Nurburgring lap occasions within the years to come back. With automobiles regularly getting sooner and extra aerodynamic, maybe we’d see manufacturing automobiles crack the six-minute barrier earlier than we predict.